Friday, August 5, 2011

I'm ready for some FOOTBALL!

I live in Husker Nation. 

If you've ever had the pleasure of being in Omaha or Lincoln on a Husker game day, you'd know what I'm talking about.  If not... You are lucky.  It's redic.  People here go shit ass crazy for Husker football.  It's a sea of red every where you go.  You can't get married on a game day, and if you do - you better have a TV at your reception or people won't come.  You can't run to the grocery store without hearing the game blasting through the PA system while you try to shop in peace.  You can't drive down a street in a quiet suburban neighborhood without seeing some form of lunacy.  When I first moved here, my neighbors had a cannon... Yes. A f'ing CANNON that they would shoot off every time the Huskers scored.  Nice, huh?

I'm from Iowa originally.  I'm a Hawkeye girl living in Husker football land.  My dad was a football referee growing up, and he loved sharing his passion for football with my sister and I.  In turn, I LOVE football,  Since he passed away, I love it even more.  I feel like it's "our time".  Time that makes me think of him and miss him so much.  He would have loved chilling with me and The Stinker on a beautiful fall Saturday while we cheered for our favorite teams (she's a "go Huskers" kind of girl.  Traitor)

My non Husker love wasn't a big deal until last year when Nebraska joined the Big 10.  Iowa will now play Nebraska in the big day after Thanksgiving rivalry game.  So excited!  Shit's gonna hit the fan in this town when the Hawkeye's roll over the gool ol boys.   

2 comments:

  1. Uh-Oh! Thems fightin' words, Lady! I wish I lived closer to Lincoln to see more games. I am also originally from Iowa, so I'm a big Hawkeye fan, too....but I married a Husker so when this Thanskgiving comes - it's going to be all RED or go home. However, I think I'll be happy either way. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that you are a Husker... you'll have to let me know next time you and The Commander are in town for a game. I'll buy you a drink and then yell, "GO HAWKEYES!". :)

    ReplyDelete