Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Saboteur

I can honestly say that a couple of times since I've been divorced/single I've (semi) intentionally screwed up a new relationship.  It's been awhile since I've done this, and I may not have known it at the time, but that's exactly what I did.

Perfect example is the very first person I dated after the X and I split up.  I was hardly out of the X's house before I was totally smitten with the new guy.  Hindsight is always 20/20 as we know, and I can say with complete certainty that I fucked up that relationship on purpose.  I was a hot mess from the get go.  Deep down I was in no way ready to get into something serious.  The part that sucks is that he was a really great guy.  The BFF and I have said many times over the last few years that if I'd met him now, at this point in my life, we'd be amazing together.  He was really good and I was newly single and very very bad.   

I wonder if that is what's happening in my life right now... but this time I'm not the saboteur.  Cpt Ron seems to be douche-bagging it up lately.  I wonder if he's pulling an "emily" and fucking things up because he's not ready for a real relationship.  Without getting into his person life too much, he's fresh out of a divorce and from the beginning that (and other factors) have made me a wee bit nervous.  Nervous enough to run away?  Nah... but nervous enough to take a small step back.  

Has anyone else ever done this?  Messed up your own relationship because you weren't ready for what was before you?  Do I run away or give him the time and understanding to get through all of this while I wait patiently... Decisions, decisions....

1 comment:

  1. My relationship with a soldier went south when he returned from Iraq. Long story. And it's all documented on the blog. :)

    Timing is everything, truth be told. That... and listening to your gut.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete